The resources on this page are organized by the following topics:
- Books Written for Children and Teens
- Families and Children
- Gender Affirming Organizations and Services
- Other Resources
- Parenting Booklist
- Resources for the Elderly and Their Families
- Family Relationship and Marriage
- Depression, Anxiety and Stress Management
Books Written for Children and Teens
- Feelings by Aliki Brandenberg. (1984). New York: William Morrow & Co., Inc. [ages 3-5]
- Starbright-Meditations for Children by Maureen Garth. (1991). San Francisco: Harper San Francisco. [ages 5-10]
- The Care and Keeping of Friends. American Girl Library. (1996). Middleton, Wisconsin: Pleasant Company Publications. [ages 6-16]
- It’s Perfectly Normal by Robie H. Harris. (1998). Cambridge, Massachusetts:Candlewick Press. [ages 8-17]
- The National Stepfamily Resource Center
- Coalition for Marriage, Family and Couples Education, LLC (CMFCE)
- For recommendations on how to discuss drug and alcohol use with children:
Gender Affirming Organizations and Services
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health
- Legal Advice: For specific guidance on your situation, you must consult a lawyer. You may also call GLAD at 800-455-GLAD in the New England area for referrals and general information.
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project
- International Foundation For Gender Education – phone: 617-894-8340
- ISNA – The Intersex Society of North America, P.O. Box 3070, Ann Arbor, MI 48106-3070, provides support to intersex persons. Their web site contains links and resources for SOFFAs, particularly parents. http://www.isna.org/
- National Alliance For The Mentally Ill – Helpline: 800-950-NAMI (6264)
- Alcoholics Anonymous of Vermont – phone: 1-800-253-0191
- Vermont CARES – Committee for AIDS Research, Education & Services
- Love and Power in the Stepfamily-A Practical Guide by Jamie K. Keshet (1987). New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company
- Raising Good Children: From Birth to the Teenage Years by Thomas Lickona. (1983). New York: Bantam Books.
- Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls by Mary Pipher. (1995). New York: Ballantine Books.
- The Shelter of Each Other by Mary Pipher. (1996). New York: Ballantine Books.
- Parenting by Heart by Dr. Ron Taffel. (1991). Reading, Massachusetts: Perseus Books.
Resources for the Elderly and Their Families
- Because We Care, an online eldercare guide
- Administration on Aging
Washington, DC 20201
- National Association of Area Agencies on Aging,
for caregiver support groups, respite providers, and other services for the elderly and their families.
- Eldercare Locator – phone: 800-677-1116
Relationship and Marriage
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John M. Gottman, Ph.D. and Nan Silver. (harmony). Revised edition, 2015. 320 pages.
- I’m O.K.-You’re O.K. by Thomas a. Harris, M.D. (Harper Perennial). Reprinted 2004. 320 Pages
- Hold me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love by Dr. Sue Johnson. Little, (Brown and Company). First ed., 2008. 300 Pages
- 101 Things I Wish I knew When I Got Married by Linda and Charlie Bloom. New World Library, Novato, California: 2004.
- When Anger Hurts Your Relationship by Kim Paleg, Ph.D. and Matthew Mckay, Ph.D. (New Harbinger Publications), 2001, 137 Pages
Depression, Anxiety and Stress Management
- The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook, by Edmund Bourne, Ph.D. (new Harbinger Publications). Revised Ed. 2015.
- The Feeling Good Handbook , by David d. Burns, M.D.( Plume). Revised ed. 1999. 768 Pages